Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Look Back...

My grandmother, Nora Faye Leeper, my dad's mother, passed away last Monday night. It still seems surreal to me. I was with her at the doctor on Monday afternoon before she died and it just seems so strange to think about her being gone. I am thankful for the time I got to spend with her that day though. We laughed, talked...lots of talking, and talked about the Lord.

As we gathered for the burial in Ringgold, we were greeted by so much family that we haven't seen in years! It was so great to see all of them and catch up. Many hadn't seen pictures of the kids, so it was fun showing them off! Also, the cemetary that my grandparents are burried in is also where so much more of my dad's family is burried. It was really neat to walk around and hear neat stories about these people, many of whom I never met. There were some that dated back to the early 1800's! If you think about it, their parents were alive for the founding of our country! Our country isn't very old when you think about it like that. Some of the tombstones had really interesting stories on them. Stories of great-great-great-grandparents that loved eachother unceasingly until they were parted by death, of children that were lost at birth several times over, and how much some of them loved the Lord. It's fascinatating to see where I came from.

Also, while we were on the road home, we went thru Witchita Falls, where my parents lived after they married. Dad went to anesthesia school there and my mom worked on the Air Force base. The houses below are the houses that they lived in while there. The red brick house is a quad, the one they lived in immediately after marrying. The white one, a duplex, which was olive green when they lived there, is the first house they bought together. Fun to see these places we have heard about and seen pictures of growing up. Dad said he used to walk to the hospital everyday, which I had imagined was much further away. It was actually only a couple short blocks away! Funny how you form in your mind what you think things are like! I think he once told me it was uphill both ways, and was always snowing! Anyway, enjoy, its a little bit of their story!



No comments: