Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Paris is for lovers...


Jeffrey and I just got back from an amazing week in Paris! We had a great time seeing all of the sites, eating in cafes, and trying our best to speak their language! Such a beautiful language.

That's us in the airport, about to board British Airways, loved their accent on that flight! We chose to stay in an apartment for the week rather than a hotel and it was so nice to just sort of live like Parisians. We were in a great neighborhood near several Metro stops and tons of cafes and shops. These pics are from looking out of our living room window onto the street below.


We began our week at the Musee de Louvre, where we got to see the Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo! Couldn't believe I actually got to see them in person! I must say, I was warned about how small Mona was, but I just had her built up in my mind, so she just seemed even smaller in person, was very surprising! I was also so surprised at how huge the Louvre was! It would take a week just to see everything in there! We went in room after room, hall after hall, it was crazy how huge!!!

Jeffrey posing with a statue of Marcus Aurelius. Silly boy!



After the Louvre, we walked down the river and across the Pont Neuf to Notre Dame, the famous Hunchback's home! It was beautiful and we had beautiful weather to walk down there in!


Me and Jeffrey at the back of Notre Dame, beautiful.


I wish I could describe for you just how big and tall the Eiffel Tower is, but you just have to see it to really appreciate its size and beauty. We went over there one night to see it twinkle and then also went back a few days later to go to the top! That was incredible. I know I've said it before, but it is soooo tall!!!

The video we got of the Eiffel Tower twinkling, so pretty! Not the greatest video ever recorded, but you get the idea!



Looking out from the very top of the Eiffel Tower. I wish you could tell just how high we were, these buildings are HUGE below us and they look so small from up there!

From this side, you can see the Arc de Triomphe (the tall blocky thing on the left center)

Next, we headed to Montmartre, a district north of Paris, though still part of Paris, to see Basilique du Sacré-Cœur, or the Basillica of the Sacred Heart. It's on top of a really high hill so once we FINALLY climbed about a million stairs only to find the lift to take us up there, we got an amazing view of the whole city! We accidentally got lost, the only time on the trip I might add, on our way and found the most amazing little fromager (cheese) shop!


So, before we climbed the enormous amount of stairs, we found this little area, which had these little troughs on the sides of all of the cobblestone roads I had heard about on a tv show about this area. No, they aren't a brilliant way to channel rainwater, they are the midieval version of sewers. You would just dump your chamber pots out in these and the stuff would just run down the street!!! I'm so thankful to have been born in the century that I was! So gross! But of course, we had to get a picture in one! That's me with Karen.


Ok, so on to Basilique du Sacré-Cœur. Isn't it beautiful? All perched upon that hill?

Look at that view! Can you appreciate how long we walked uphill/how many stairs we climbed now?

Now, we move on to the shopping day of our trip! It started with a trip to the Arc de Triomphe, that I mentioned earlier. Do you remember how small it looked in that picture? Now see how HUGE it is!?



Once you leave the Arc, you proceed down one of the fabuous shopping areas of Paris. However, lets not kid ourselves, its PARIS!!! There is great shopping everywhere! Anyway, you walk down the Champs-Élysées, one of the grand boulevards in Paris. Off of this street is the greatest discovery of my life. It was like a street of couture eye candy. Unbelievable. All I could think about is how much I wish my sweet sis-n-law Caanon was with me to SHOP!!! One after the other, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Pucci, Dior, Chanel, YSL, Armani, Prada, Ferragamo...need I go on? Magnificent.


Yes kids, that is a 4-story Louis Vuitton! The original store, too, I might add.
Le Maison de Louis Vuitton, as they say.

Looking down the
Champs-Élysées from in front of the Arc.

I'm sure many of you have seen the movie, 'Something's Gotta Give,' and the restaraunt (Le Grand Colbert) at the end of the movie is in Paris. Wellllll, we went! It was every bit as charming in real life as it was on the movie. Diane Keeton's character said that their roast chicken was the best in universe, so, that's what I ordered! It was really, really good! Actually, everything that we ordered there was good. And the service was awesome. Whoever gave the French a bad name was totally wrong. We found them all to be really friendly and helpful.


Me and Jeffrey at Le Grand Colbert


So that leads us to the conclusion of our time in Paris proper. Our last day of the trip we went out to Normandy to see Omaha and Utah Beach and the memorial, graves and remnants of WWII. There's just too much from that trip to include in the same post, so I will do a seprate one for that day.

It was so much fun to go with Joel and Karen on this trip and I am so thankful for my husband working so hard that we might be able to go. I can't wait to go again and take the kids to see it all! Beautiful town.

2 comments:

The Mize of Texas said...

What a fantastic trip! Everything looks beautiful and tons of fun!

The Jungs said...

I LOVE THEM ALL!! Wow, you and Jeffrey have some GREAT pictures together!! I love being able to see all the places that you went. Hey, and I was wondering, is the Eiffel Tower very tall?? haha, j/k! :) So I didn't realize you saw the ORIGINAL Louis store (I'm not sure how to spell his last name). That is so cool! I can't wait to see your pictures from Normandy. Love you and miss you tons!